Friday, October 21, 2011

Creating a Vintage Map Journal = simple


If you are at an antique store or perhaps even a thrift store, you can find old map books for fairly cheap.  I love purchasing them, just looking through the maps – I do love maps.

So while my husband and I were doing our normal antique shopping and book buying, I came across some old Atlas books and we bought them up for only around a dollar or two a piece – a steal right?!?

While “stalking” different blogs and finding some adorable journals made from maps; I thought I’d give it a try myself.  I did have help from a book, but I thought I’d share my journey with you and show you how easy it can be.

First, figure out what size you may want your journal to be – mine was rather small – around 8x5.  Then fold your pages in half and set them aside.

 Second, choose the map that you want on the front and back of your journal and cut it out of the book – I prefer using one of those X-Acto knives, just makes it more precise.




Then once you’ve cut out the map – trim it to the size of what your folded pages are – though leave enough room for a fold in the middle and a little extra on the edges.  Then fold it in half and create a type of “m” where the middle goes down and the sides are up – then put your folded half pages on each side of the middle section of the map and see if it fits.  I actually had to trim my paper once because I trimmed the map too much J



I think the next step is too hard to explain, so here is a picture to show you – plus I’m more of a visual learner.



Once you’ve got your pages secured, then punch as many holes in them, I usually do three because that means less sewing J  but also fewer holes in paper that could rip.

Then take some thread and a needle and sew the pages together.  I used a thicker thread – more a type of cross stitch thread to help secure it more.




Once you are done sewing – then fold up your book and there you have it a cute little journal – made by your hands from a vintage map.  Perfect gift for those who like little journals, notebooks or even for you and your next trip, just to write down the different locations you’ve been too J





I hope you’ve enjoyed – you can also replace the vintage map with anything else – a picture your child made, some scrapbook paper, pages from a book – you name it, be creative.

I’m going to be creating a few more of these for a craft show – what do you all think – should I ?!?  Also have no clue how much to ask for something like this?  Any suggestions?

Would love any input!

God Bless,
Leah
NS Creations J

PS. Please forgive my pictures - they are not the most creative :)  I'll try to get some better ones up later on tonight :)

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE LOVE LOVE this. what a great job! i have no idea how much you could sell it for...8? 10? 12?

    ReplyDelete